Saturday, September 19, 2009

Weekend Special



A lot of my "Monday Music" choices focus on new bands I find while DJing at KNC. This means that most come from the "hypster" indie music world. Today though I'm going to feature an artist that is far from the KNC scene. Its been about a year since Jackson Browne released "Time the Conqueuer" and almost 40 since his first album simply titled "Jackson Browne." That first album included some of his best "Doctor My Eyes", "Rock me on the Water", and "My Opening Farewell." (yes he wrote the song Bonnie Raitt would make famous.)

"Time the Conqueror" keeps it going, political messages can be found in "Going down to Cuba" and "Where were you" which brings to light the government's faults during Katrina. The great thing about Browne is the music arrangements never get complex, nor do they need to, with quality lyrics Jackson carries each song. If your looking for classic Jackson Browne then you won't be disappointed with "Just say Yeah" it evokes the simple theme he has written about in every album, finding love.

Also check out "Sky Blue and Black", some people cannot name their favorite song across all genres, but this is mine. The best lines every written, "Your the hidden cost and the thing that's lost in everything I do/Yeah and I'll never stop looking for you." Jackson also wrote "These Days" which was preformed by Nico in the 60's and "Take it Easy" the instant hit sung by the Eagles. Jackson has been focusing lately on a lot of solo work so lucky for those readers in the triangle he will be preforming an acoustic solo set on November 11 at the Durham Arts Center. I'm not sure a day goes past I don't listen to at least one of his songs, they just don't get old. Check him out I'm sure you'll enjoy.

TLH

No comments:

Post a Comment